Armenia staff writer
OC Media is seeking a full-time staff writer to cover developments in Armenia and Nagorno-Karabakh.
We are seeking a journalist to work remotely from Yerevan, coordinating with our editorial office in Tbilisi. This is an opportunity to join a dynamic and multinational team, working directly under the editor-in-chief with opportunities to learn and develop professionally.
Extensive experience or qualifications in journalism are not necessarily required; the successful candidate will have the opportunity to learn from our experienced editorial team.
OC Media is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage people from all backgrounds and those with disabilities to apply.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Follow developments in Armenia and provide daily updates on current events (five days per week).
- Pitch and develop story ideas.
- Write news articles about Armenia.
- Write in-depth feature stories and other long-form journalistic articles about Armenia.
- Work closely with Azerbaijani and Georgian colleagues on cross-border stories.
- Take comments from all actors relevant to a story (including the government, civil society, and others)
- Conduct fieldwork, including covering protests and travel outside the capital.
- Appear on the Caucasus Digest Podcast to discuss current events in Armenia.
- Write newsletters for subscribers providing analysis and/or personal opinions on events in Armenia.
- Be flexible in their work hours, working late or on weekends when events require (compensated with additional time off).
- Follow OC Media’s security and social media and impartiality guidelines at all times.
The OC Media team will provide training and guidance to the successful candidate in all aspects of the responsibilities listed above.
The successful candidate will have:
- The ability to speak and write in English (fluency is not required).
- Fluency in Armenian.
- A demonstrated interest in and passion for journalism.
- The ability to think critically and remain unbiased.
- An understanding of the political and social landscape in Armenia.
- A commitment to OC Media’s values.
- The applicant should be based in Yerevan or willing to relocate.
The following skills would be an asset but are not essential:
- Prior experience in journalism.
- A network of contacts.
- Knowledge of additional languages spoken in the Caucasus, including Russian.
- Experience with photography.
- Knowledge of image and video editing software such as Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, and Adobe Premiere.
- Knowledge of data journalism.
What we offer:
- Remuneration of $900–$1,108 gross per month, depending on experience, with the prospect of an increase in the future.
- Two days of paid leave per month worked + Georgian national holidays taken flexibly (~10–12 additional days of paid leave per year).
- Health insurance
- Paid maternity/paternity leave.
- Opportunities for professional development.
How to apply
Write to [email protected] (subject: Armenian staff writer) and include:
- Your CV;
- A cover letter;
- Contact details of two references (name, position, email, phone number).
Please note that incomplete applications will not receive a response.
Application deadline: 15 July 2023.
Start date: 15 August 2023.